A breadth of experience
At its heart, my career has been about creating – building new services, new technologies and new ways of thinking.
I have enjoyed a 30 year career in media research that has spanned custom research, tracking studies, and industry currency contracts. This means I have a wide experience of both the ‘mechanics’ of research (PeopleMeters, Portable Meters, online research, custom quant and qual) and of the analysis and interpretation of data.
I have worked variously for limited companies, wholly owned subsidiaries, global PLCs and for the last five years as an independent business myself.
A diverse range of clients has included Google, Sky, ITV, Channel 4, BARB, MTV, Microsoft, IPC, Trinity Mirror, News International, Conde Nast, The Spectator, EMAP, Capital, Viasat, CME, VRT, NRK, Mediapulse, ARMA, TIAK, Danish Radio, DirecTV and TVB.
More recently as a consultant, clients have included the IPA, Newsworks, BBC, RAJAR, ESOMAR, Mediatel, Liberty Global, Kantar Media and Oxford Business School.
Meanwhile, I am a regular columnist for Mediatel Newsline in the UK, covering media, research and technology. I am also Research Director for asi Conferences, helping to organise their annual Television and Radio conferences, as well as the video conference for the APAC region, currently held in Singapore.
As well as being a regular speaker on media issues at international conferences, I have served as a programme committee member for ESOMAR and the ARF and chaired the ARF Measurement Conference in NYC in 2008 and the World Audiences Summits in 2011 and 2012. For three years I was a tutor in Media Research at the MRS Summer School. In 2002 I won the Simon Broadbent Award for Best Paper at the MRG Conference in Budapest for work with the BBC on the Daily Life Survey.
As Global CEO of Kantar Media Audiences from 2008-2012, I oversaw the management team running TV and digital audience measurement services in 60+ countries. In a highly successful four year period:
- Oversaw the establishment of a new BARB UK TV panel in Jan 2010.
- Significantly grew revenue whilst maintaining margins against a background of global economic recession and successful integration into WPP following acquisition in 2008.
- Guided major new business wins with new TV services in Switzerland, Turkey, Romania and in UK with the Google Cross Media Panel.
- Consolidated Kantar position as global player in digital audience measurement
- Successfully established a US Return Path Data business.
- Led product development of VirtualMeter (measuring online video) and RapidMeter (digital TV measurement).
- Acquired and integrated the Spring online measurement company.
As Global Business Development Director of TNS Media Research from 2004-2008:
- Led the team that successfully won the BARB UK TV measurement contract.
- Evolved strategy for digital audience measurement and consolidated position as a ‘thought leader’
- Oversaw development and deployment of Arbitron Portable People Meter (PPM).
- Worked in a team to establish TNS as the first company to be active in the area of TV ‘big data’ via Return Path from Set Top Boxes.
- Managed global marketing effort and organised international conferences and events
- Led the team that pitched for and won a major contract from RAJAR/ BARB for portable measurement panel in 2006.
- Supported groundbreaking Return Path Data audience measurement efforts in the US television market.
Prior to that I was Managing Director of RSGB Media where I helped create the ground-breaking ROAR and VIPer cross-media studies, set up a pan BBC tracking study, brought the Daily Life study into the 21st century with the use of electronic diaries and consulted on the first IPA Touchpoints. I also conducted projects for RAJAR/JICRAR, JICREG, JICMARS and JICBUILD amongst many others.